Public Officers (Protection) Act
Act 24 of 1976
- Commenced on 8 September 1976
- [This is the version of this document at 30 June 2012 and includes any amendments published up to 30 June 2014.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Public Officers (Protection) Act.
2. Meaning of public officerIn this Act "public officer" has the meaning ascribed thereto in the Interpretation and General Provisions Act.
3. Period of limitationNo action to enforce any claim in respect of—
4. Limitation on damagesWhere, in an action to enforce a claim in respect of an act or omission referred to in section 3, the court certifies on the record that the public officer or person concerned acted or, as the case may be, omitted to act, upon reasonable or probable cause, the plaintiff is not entitled to more than nominal damages or to any costs of the action.
5. Protection of persons exercising judicial functions
6. Penalty for obstructing certain personsAny person who, by force, hinders or obstructs—
History of this document
08 September 1976