Legal Aid Act
- Commenced on 1 February 1986
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 2014.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Legal Aid Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act—"civil proceeding" means a proceeding before any court in the exercise of its jurisdiction, both original and appellate, in civil matters;"disposable capital or disposable income" means the capital or income computed in accordance with rules made under this Act;"Fund" means the Legal Aid Fund established under section 10;"Judge" means a judge of the Supreme Court;"Registrar" means the Registrar of the Supreme Court.
3. Civil proceedings
4. Financial limitation
6. Criminal proceedings
7. Financial circumstancesWhere the financial circumstances of a person charged with an offence are such that he is unable without undue hardship to himself or his dependants to meet the expenses of proceedings in relation to that offence—
13. Application of this ActNotwithstanding anything in any other written law, this Act of this Act shall apply to or in respect of the provision of legal aid for the purposes stated in this Act.
History of this document
01 December 2014 this version
01 February 1986