Road Transport Act
Traffic Signs Regulations
Statutory Instrument 58 of 1961
- Commenced on 14 September 1961
- [This is the version of this document at 1 August 2016.]
1. CitationThese regulations may be cited as the Traffic Signs Regulations.
2. Signs to be as indicated in the ScheduleSubject to the provisions of these Regulations, every traffic sign for conveying to vehicular traffic a requirement, prohibition or restriction specified in a diagram set out in the schedule shall be of the size, colour and type shown in the diagram relating to that requirement, prohibition or restriction
3. Permitted variantsWhere the circumstances so require—
4. Diagrams Nos. 6 and 7
5. Diagrams Nos. 11 to 14
6. Give way road-markings
7. InterpretationIn this part any reference to—
8. Signs to be of the sizes, colours and types shown in diagramsSubject to the provisions of this part, traffic signs for conveying to vehicular traffic on roads a requirement, and prohibition or restriction specified in or under a diagram in shown Part II of Schedule 1 (Other than a requirement shown in diagrams 601 or 602) shall be of the size, colour and type shown in the diagram relating to that requirement, prohibition or restrictions.
9. Significance of signs of “stop” and “give way”
10. Permitted variantsWhere the circumstances so require—
11. DimensionsWhere as respects any diagram in Part II of Schedule 1 a dimension for the sign shown in the diagram is indicated in one or more sets of brackets against a dimension not indicated in brackets, any dimension indicated in a set of brackets may be treated as an alternative to the dimension not so indicated.
12. Proportions and form of letters, numericals, characters and arrows
13. Traffic signs prescribed in Part I not supersededA traffic sign shown in any of the diagrams in the schedule to these Regulations shall not be deemed to have been superseded by any traffic sign prescribed by this part and may not continue to be used if it complies with the provisions relating thereto virtue of by Part I.
13A. Box junctionA road marking shown in diagram No. 31 or diagram No. 32 may be placed on a road at a junction, other than a roundabout, to indicate that a vehicle shall not enter the area covered by the marking in a manner which causes the vehicle or any part thereof to remain stationary in that area due to the presence of vehicles therein except that a vehicle that had entered that area in a manner so as not to contravene the above restriction and waiting to complete a right turn may remain stationary therein for so long as is prevented from completing that turn by reason of either oncoming vehicles or of the presence of other stationary vehicles waiting in or near that area to complete a right turn.[regulation 13A inserted by regulation 2(a) of SI 44 of 1997 w.e.f. 23 June 1997]
Part III – Traffic signs and road markings indicating parking restrictions
14. Diagrams Nos 15, 16 and 17
15. Diagram Nos 18, 19 and 20
16. Diagrams Nos 22, 24 and 26A sign of the type shown in diagrams 22, 24 and 26 may be placed on or near the side of a road only if there in conjunction with that sign and on the same side of the road a road marking shown in diagram 15 or 16 except that this regulations shall not apply where any such sign is so placed for the purposes of a temporary statutory provision.
17. Diagram Nos 23 and 23A sign of the type shown in diagrams 23 or 25 may be placed on or near the side of the road only if there is placed in conjunction with that sign and on the same side of the road a road marking shown in diagram 18, 19 or 20 except that this regulation shall not apply where any such sign is so placed for the purposes of a temporary statutory provision.
18. Diagram 21
19. Clearways diagrams Nos 27 to 30
20. Parking fee traffic sign
21. Loading bayA road marking depicted by a single yellow line placed on the lengthwise sides of parking bay with the capital letter L in yellow inside a circle circumscribed in yellow placed within the bay shall be used to indicate a loading bay.
History of this document
14 September 1961