Seychelles National Youth Council Act
EDITORS' NOTE: The digital versions of legislation accessible through SeyLII are UNOFFICIAL and provided solely in the interests of increasing access to legal information. Their currency and accuracy cannot be warranted. Official versions of Seychelles legislation can only be obtained in hard copy from the Attorney-General’s Chambers, Department of Legal Affairs
CONSOLIDATED TO 30 JUNE 2012
LAWS OF SEYCHELLES
SEYCHELLES NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL ACT
[7th March, 1998]
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
4.Membership of the Council
5.General Assembly of the Council
6.Executive Committee of the Council
7.Secretary-General of the Council
8.Directions from the Minister
9.Functions and powers of the Council
10.Funds of the Council
1. This Act may be cited as the Seychelles National Youth Council Act.
2. In this Act -
“Council” means the Seychelles National Youth Council established under section 3.
“Minister” means the Minister responsible for Youth Affairs.
3. There is hereby established the Seychelles National Youth Council which shall be a body corporate.
4. The Council shall consist of the following members -
(a) youth organisations registered with the Registrar General (full members);
(b) institutions of secondary education (full member); and
(c) other youth organisations admitted to membership by the Council (associate members).
5. (1) The General Assembly of the Council shall consist of delegates of the members referred to in section 4, and each such member shall be entitled to appoint 3 delegates to the General Assembly. No such delegate shall be less than 15 years or more than 30 years of age.
(2) The General Assembly shall meet at least once a year and one half of the full members of the Council shall constitute a quorum for any meeting of the General Assembly.
(3) Each full member shall be entitled to vote on any matter coming up before a meeting of the General Assembly.
6. (1) There shall be a Board of the Council and the Board shall consist of —
(a) the Chairperson;
(b) the Vice-chairperson;
(c) 5 other persons,
who shall be elected by the General Assembly and who shall hold office for a period of 2 years;
(2) The Board shall be responsible for advising on, and approving all matters relating to the functions of the Council.
(3) The Board shall meet at least once every month to perform its functions.
7. (1) There shall be a Secretary General of the Council who —
(a) shall be the chief executive officer of the Council;
(b) shall be nominated by the Minister;
(c) shall represent the Council in all proceedings.
(2) The Council may employ such number of persons as are necessary for the performance of its functions on such terms and conditions as it deems fit.
8. The Minister may give special or general directions in writing to the Board and the Board shall give effect to such directions.
9. (1) The President may, on the recommendation of the Minister, by Order in writing vest any property belonging to the Republic in the Council.
(2) Any right or obligation of the Republic in connection with any asset, project, contract or undertaking may also be vested in the Council in the like manner.
(3) The objectives, conditions and other matters relating to such vesting of property or rights and obligations shall be determined by agreement between the Minister and the Council prior to the making of the vesting Order.
10. (1) The functions of the Council are -
(a) to assist in the formulation and revision of the national youth policies;
(b) to foster among the Seychellois youth a spirit of national consciousness, a sense of unity and discipline, respect, understanding, co-operation and harmony through youth work;
(c) to plan and conduct programmes of activities that would contribute to the moral, cultural, educational, economic, artistic and physical advancement of the Seychellois youth;
(d) to uphold and strengthen the voluntary and democratic principles in the youth movements;
(e) to liaise with national youth organisations of other countries;
(f) to promote international understanding and co-operation;
(g) to provide a medium for a regular dialogue between the youth and Government on matters pertaining to youth.
(2) For the furtherance of the functions of the Council, the Council may-
(a) receive grants or donations;
(b) raise funds in Seychelles or elsewhere.
11 (1) The funds of the Council shall consist of -
(a) moneys appropriated by an Appropriation Act paid to the Council;
(b) moneys received or raised under section 9(2).
(2) The funds of the Council may be applied for any purposes in connection with or for the furtherance of the functions of the Council.
12 (1) The Council shall keep proper accounts and records of the funds of the Council and shall prepare for each financial year a statement of accounts.
(2) The accounts and statement of accounts of the Council shall be audited by an auditor qualified for appointment as an auditor under the Companies Act and appointed by the Minister.
(3) As soon as the accounts and statement of accounts of the Council have been audited under subsection (2), the Council shall send to the Minister a copy of the statement of accounts together with a copy of any report made by the auditor on the statement on the accounts of the Council.
13 The financial year of the Council shall be a period of 12 months ending on the 31st December of any year but the first financial year of the Council shall end on the 31st December next following the date of commencement of this Act.
14 The Minister may make regulations for carrying into effect the purposes and provisions of this Act and for any other matter necessary or convenient to be prescribed by regulations.
LAWS OF SEYCHELLES
SEYCHELLES NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL ACT
Seychelles National Youth Council Act, 1997 (Commencement) Notice, 1998
[26th January, 1998]
1. This Notice may be cited as the Seychelles National Youth Council Act 1997 (Commencement) Notice.
2. The Seychelles National Youth Council Act, 1997 shall come into operation on 7th March, 1998.