Roman Catholic Mission of Seychelles (Incorporation) Act
EDITORS' NOTE: The digital versions of legislation accessible through SeyLII are UNOFFICIAL and provided solely in the interests of increasing access to legal information. Their currency and accuracy cannot be warranted. Official versions of Seychelles legislation can only be obtained in hard copy from the Attorney-General’s Chambers, Department of Legal Affairs
CONSOLIDATED TO 30 JUNE 2012
LAWS OF SEYCHELLES
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN SEYCHELLES (INCORPORATION) ACT
[2nd April, 1938]
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
2. Incorporation of Roman Catholic Church.
3. Management of corporate body.
4. Chairman to sign documents.
5. Powers of corporate body.
6. Seal of corporate body.
7. Powers of the Board of Trustees.
8. Power of the Board of Trustees to frame bye?laws.
9. Saving Clause.
1. This Act may be cited as the Roman Catholic Church in Seychelles (Incorporation) Act.
2. (1) The Roman Catholic Church now existing in Seychelles and composed of the Bishop of Port Victoria and of the Roman Catholic clergy, is hereby constituted into a corporate body to be known as "The Roman Catholic Church in Seychelles," with a right as such to hold and possess, in its corporate name, such immovable property as it may require for religious, charitable or educational purposes.
(2) The said corporate body may in its corporate name receive and accept donations inter vivos and legacies, provided such donations and legacies be made in conformity with the laws of Seychelles.
3. The said corporate body shall be under the care and management of a "Board of Trustees" hereinafter called "the Board" which shall be composed of the Bishop of Port Victoria or of Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Port Victoria for the time being as chairman and of two other members of the Roman Catholic clergy to be appointed by the chairman. In case of death, absence, resignation or incapacity to act of the chairman, the Vicar?General shall act as chairman. Any change of trustees shall be notified in writing to the Minister.
4. All deeds, acts and documents concerning the said corporate body shall be signed by the chairman of the Board.
5. The said corporate body shall act, sue and be sued under its corporate name, service of process on the chairman of the Board being equivalent to service on the said corporate body.
6. The said corporate body shall have a common seal which shall consist of a cross surmounting two crossed arms in flames, surrounded by the inscription "Roman Catholic Church, Seychelles."
7. All the property real and personal the said Roman Catholic church may now be possessed of or may hereafter acquire in whatever manner, shall be vested in the Board who shall hold the same on behalf of the Roman Catholic Church with full powers of administration and with the power of selling, mortgaging or exchanging the same, of consenting to the erasure or removal of all inscriptions, seizures or attachments and of giving all acquittances.
8. The Board shall have power to make, amend or revoke bye?laws for the better working of this Act. A copy of the bye?laws shall be submitted to the Minister.
9. Nothing in this Act shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or any body politic or corporate, or of any other person or persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from, through or under them.
NO SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION