Seychelles Tourism Marketing Authority Act
EDITORS' NOTE: The digital versions of legislation accessible through SeyLII are UNOFFICIAL and provided solely in the interests of increasing access to legal information. Their currency and accuracy cannot be warranted. Official versions of Seychelles legislation can only be obtained in hard copy from the Attorney-General’s Chambers, Department of Legal Affairs
This Act was repealed by Act 6 of 2005, Seychelles Tourism Board Act with effect from 1 April 2005. The text below is reproduced for historical reference purposes only.
Act 13 of 2000
SEYCHELLES TOURISM MARKETING AUTHORITY ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. Establishment of Seychelles Tourism Marketing Authority .
5. Constitution of the Board of the Authority.
6. Meetings of the Board.
7. The Chief Executive Officer of the Authority.
8. Staff of the Authority.
9. Staff deemed to be public officers.
10. Protection of acts done in good faith.
11. Funds of the Authority.
12. Directions of the Minister.
14. Repeal of Cap 223.
Short title. 1. This Act may be cited as the Seychelles Tourism Authority Act.
Interpretation. 2. In this Act -
“Authority” means the Seychelles Tourism Marketing
“Authority” established by section 3 of this Act;
"Board" means the Board of the Authority appointed under section 5 of this Act.
Establishment 3. There is established the Seychelles Tourism Marketing
of Seychelles Authority which shall be a body corporate.
Functions. 4.(1) The functions of the Authority shall be-
(a) to encourage people to visit Seychelles
(b) to promote or undertake general tourism publicity and to monitor, supervise and coordinate such publicity undertaken by others;
(c) to conduct market research;
(d) to advise the Government on matters relating to marketing of tourism.
Constitution 5.(1) The Authority shall be administered by a Board consisting
of the Board ofof 7 members appointed by the President.
(2) The members shall hold office for a period of two years from the date of appointment, and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(3) The President shall appoint -
(a) one of the members to be the Chairman of the Board; and
(b) one other member to be the Chief Executive Officer of the Authority.
Meetings of 6.(1) The Board shall meet at such place as the Chairman thinks fit.
(a) not less frequently than once in every two months.
(b) at such other times as the Chairman or not less than 4 member may request.
(2) Five member of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
(3) The Chairmanor inthe absence of the Chairman the person elected by the members present from among themselves shall preside at a meeting of the Board.
(4) Any question before a meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of votes of the members present but in the event of an equality of votes the person presiding at the meeting shall have a casting vote.
(5) A member who has any interest in any matter which falls to be decided by the Board shall declare such interest and shall not take part in any deliberation or vote in respect of that i,natter.
(6) Subject to this Act, the Board shall regulate its own proceedings.
The Chief 7. The Chief Executive Officer of the Authority-
Officer of the
Authority (a) shall be responsible for the implementation of the decision
of the Board and for the management of the day to day business of the Authority
(b) may, subject to the direction of the Board, sign documents on behalf of the Authority,
(c) may, subject to the directions of the Board, delegate any functions of the Chief Executive Officer to any employee of the Authority.
Staff of the 8. The Authority may employ such persons as are necessary for the performance of its functions on such terms and conditions as it deems fit.
Staff deemed 9. The members of the Board and officers and employees of the
to be public Authority shall be deemed to be employed in the public service for the
officers purpose of sections 91 to 96 of the Penal Code and those sections shall apply to them.
Protection of 10. Subject to section 9, the Authority, members of the Board, and
acts done in officers and employees of the Authority shall not be liable civilly or
good faith criminally in respect of any loss arising from the exercise in good faith by any of them of the functions of the Authority.
Funds of 11.(1) The funds of the Authority shall consist of-
(a) moneys approved by an Appropriation Act and paid to the Authority;
(b) moneys lawfully received by the Authority as fees, rents or other charges;
(c) moneys due on any investment made by the Authority; and
(d) moneys borrowed by the Authority.
(2) The funds of the Authority may be applied by the Authority -
(a) in the payment or discharge of its debts, expenses and other obligations;
(b) in the payment of emoluments, fees and allowances payable to the members of the Board and officers and employees of the Authority.
(3) The Board shall keep proper books and accounts of the moneys of the Authority and shall prepare in respect of each financial year a statement of accounts.
(4) The financial year of the Authority shall be a period of twelve months ending on the 31st December of each year but the firstfinancial year of the Authority shall end on the 31st December next following the date of commencement of this Act.
(5) The accounts and the statement of accounts of the Authority shall be audited every year by the Auditor General.
Directions of 12. The Minister may give to the Board general directions in
the Minister writing to be followed by the Board in the performance of its functions, and the Board shall comply with those directions.
Validation 13. Any action or decision taken by the Seychelles Tourism Marketing Authority of the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation before the coming into force of this Act which would have been valid if this Act had been in force at the time is hereby validated and declared to be and always to have been lawful.
Repealed of 14. The Seychelles Tourist Board Act (Cap 223) is hereby
Cap 223. repealed.
NO SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION