Pig Production (Control) Act
Act 24 of 1985
- Commenced on 1 May 1987
- [This is the version of this document at 30 June 2012 and includes any amendments published up to 30 June 2014.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Pig Production (Control) Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Chief Livestock Development Officer" means the person for the time being holding the office of Chief Livestock Development Officer;"code of practice" means the code of practice issued under section 6(3);"licence" means a licence granted under section 5;"Licensing Authority" means the Licensing Authority established by section 3 of the Licences Act;"permit" means a permit granted under section 7;"pig breeding centre" means a premises used for breeding pigs by the holder of a licence;"pig genetic centre" means a pig genetic centre approved by the Minister under section 3;"Seychelles Marketing Board" means the Seychelles Marketing Board established by section 3 of the Seychelles Marketing Board Act.
3. Pig genetic centreThere shall be for the purposes of this Act one or more pig genetic centres approved by the Minister by notice published in the Gazette.
5. Pig breeding licence
6. Conditions to be complied with by pig breeders
7. Pig fattening permit
8. Conditions to be complied with by pig fatteners
9. Power to vary or impose condition or suspend or revoke licence or permitThe Licensing Authority, in respect of a licence, or the Chief Livestock Development Officer, in respect of a permit, may at any time—
11. Surrender of licence or permitThe holder of a licence or permit which is revoked shall immediately surrender the licence or permit, in the case of a licence, to the Licensing Authority or, in the case of a permit, to the Chief Livestock Development Officer and shall not be entitled to any refund of the licence or permit fee or any part thereof unless the Minister in any particular case directs otherwise.
12. Authorized officer
13. Right of entry and searchAn authorized officer may, where he has reason to believe that an offence under this Act has been, or is being committed—
14. Obstruction of OfficersNo person shall prevent, hinder or obstruct the Chief Livestock Development Officer or a person authorized by the Chief Livestock Development Officer for the purposes of sections 6(2) and 8(2) or an authorized officer in the exercise of his functions under this Act.
16. Proof of licence or permitWhere a person is charged with contravening section 4(1), section 5(1) or section 7(1), the burden of proving that he is the holder of a licence or permit shall be on that person.
17. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for carrying into effect the purposes and provisions of this Act and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, may make regulations for the purpose of—
18. ApplicationNotwithstanding anything contained in any other written law, this Act shall apply to all maters relating to the control of production of pigs.
History of this document
01 May 1987