Public Assembly Act, 2015
Act 15 of 2015
- Commenced on 12 November 2015
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2015.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Public Assembly Act, 2015.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
3. Notice of public assembly or public procession
4. Conditions and restriction on public assembly or public procession
5. Written authorisation and designated area
6. Cessation of a public assembly or public processionThe Commissioner may by order terminate a public assembly or public procession—
7. Unauthorised public assembly or public procession
8. Delegation of powersThe Commissioner may delegate the powers conferred upon him or her by this Act to his or her Deputy or any other police officer not below the rank of Superintendent.
9. Prohibited area
10. Order or directionWhere an order is made or direction given under this Act, the Commissioner shall cause notice of the effect of the order or direction to be given as soon as may be, in such manner as he or she thinks necessary for bringing to the notice of the persons who, in his or her opinion ought to have notice of the order or direction.
11. Individual liabilityAny person who attends a public assembly or public procession shall be held individually responsible.
12. Prohibition of offensive conduct to breach of peace at public assembly or processionAny person who at any public assembly or public procession uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behavior with intent to provoke a breach of the peace or by virtue of which a breach of the peace is likely to be occasioned, commits an offence.
13. Disorderly behavior at public assembly or procession
14. PenaltyAny person who commits an offence under this Act is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding SCR25,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
15. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
31 December 2015 this version
12 November 2015
|Public Assembly (Speaker's Corner) Regulations, 2019||Statutory Instrument 59 of 2019|