Seychelles Parks and Gardens Authority Act, 2022
Act 4 of 2022
- Published in Supplement to Official Gazette on 25 March 2022
- Assented to on 23 March 2022
- Commenced on 4 April 2022 by Tertiary Education (Amendment) Act (Commencement) Notice, 2022
- [This is the version of this document from 25 March 2022.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the Seychelles Parks and Gardens Authority Act, 2021 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette appoint.
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Appeals Board” means the appeals board established under section 73 of the Environment Protection Act, 2016, (Act 18 of 2016);“Authority” means the Seychelles Parks and Gardens Authority established by section 3;“Board” means the Board established under section 5;“Chief Executive Officer” means the Chief Executive Officer appointed under section 8;"Gardens"—(a)means the Botanical Gardens, Victoria; and(b)includes any other gardens or areas of important botanical value designated by the Minister on the recommendation of the Board, by Order published in the Gazette;“Member” means a member of the Board;“Minister” means the Minister responsible for environment;“National Botanical Gardens Foundation” means the foundation established under section 3 of the National Botanical Gardens Foundation Act, 2009, (Cap 288);“National Parks Authority” means the National Parks Authority established under the Environment Protection (Seychelles National Parks Authority) Order (S.I. 30 of 2009) under the Environment Protection Act (Cap. 71); and“Parks” means a clearly defined geographical space, recognised, dedicated and managed to meet objectives for conservation or sustainable uses as may be designated by the Minister on the recommendation of the Board, by Order published in the Gazette.
Part II – Establishment and functions of the Authority
3. Establishment of the Authority
4. Functions of the AuthorityThe functions of the Authority are to—
Part III – Board of the Authority
5. Board of the Authority
6. Meetings of Board
7. Powers of BoardThe Board shall have all powers necessary for the proper performance of its administrative functions under this Act.
8. Chief Executive Officer
9. Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Part IV – Financial provisions
10. Funds of the Authority
11. InsuranceThe Authority may enter into contracts of insurance and take and maintain insurance policies in respect of—
12. Directions by Minister
13. Operational plan
14. Accounts and audits
15. Annual reports
Part V – Miscellaneous
16. Application of certain Penal Code provisionsAll members of the Board and officers of the Authority shall be deemed to be employed in the public service for the purpose of sections 91 to 96 of the Penal Code (Cap 158).
17. Protection of acts done in good faithNo civil or criminal proceedings shall lie against the Authority, Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, or member of the Board or the officers and other employees of the Authority in respect of an act done or omission made in good faith in the performance of the functions of the Authority, in pursuance of this Act.
18. Reference in other written lawsAny reference in any written law to the National Parks Authority, Marine Parks Authority or the National Botanical Gardens Foundation, its Chief Executive Officer or other officers shall be deemed to be a reference to the Seychelles Parks and Gardens Authority, its Chief Executive Officer or other corresponding officers, as the case may be.
19. RegulationsThe Minister may, in consultation with the Authority, make regulations for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
20. RepealThe Environment Protection (Seychelles National Parks Authority) Order, 2009, (S.I. 30 of 2009) and the National Botanical Gardens Foundation Act, Act 30 of 2009 (Cap 288) are hereby repealed.
21. Savings and transitional
History of this document
04 April 2022
25 March 2022 this version
23 March 2022