G. DODIN J.
- I have heard learned counsel in mitigation. The convict is a first offender. He is 30 years old and has a child of 9 months old who depends on him. He is in gainful employment at H.I.S. He has pleaded guilty and not wasted the Court’s time and expenses of the trial.
- The amount of drug is not on the high side and it is a class B drug. Learned counsel has also indicated several cases which are similar and where no sentences of firm imprisonment have been imposed. Having considered the mitigating factors, I do not see any aggravating factor to be considered in this case.
- I will sentence the convict to a term of 1 year imprisonment suspended for two years with condition that he does not commit any similar offence for the next two years.
- In addition, I also impose a fine of Rs10, 000/- to be paid within 6 months of today. He can pay by instalments. Default of payment would result in term of 6 months imprisonment.
- He can appeal against the sentence within 30 working days.
Signed, dated and delivered at Ile du Port on 07th July 2023