This is the version of this Statutory Instrument as it was from 1 June 2020 to 26 November 2020. Read the latest available version.
- Is amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment) Rules, 2013
- Is amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment of Schedules) Rules, 2020
- Is amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment) Rules, 2020
- Is amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment) Rules, 2022
Constitution of the Republic of Seychelles
Seychelles Court of Appeal Rules, 2005
Statutory Instrument 13 of 2005
- Commenced on 7 March 2005
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 1 June 2020 to 26 November 2020.]
- [Amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment) Rules, 2013 (Statutory Instrument 49 of 2013) on 6 June 2013]
- [Amended by Seychelles Court of Appeal (Amendment of Schedules) Rules, 2020 (Statutory Instrument 18 of 2020) on 10 February 2020]
1. Citation and commencementThese Rules may be cited as the Seychelles Court of Appeal Rules, 2005 and shall come into operation three months after their publication in the Gazette.
3. Practice and procedure of the Court, and cases not provided for
4. Selection of JudgesIn respect of any appeal, the Court shall consist of those Judges, not being less than three, whom the President shall select to sit for the purposes of hearing that appeal.
5. Power of a single JudgeSave for an application for special leave to appeal to the Court, the President or a single Judge designated by the President may alone exercise any power vested in the Court not involving the merits of the appeal.
6. Locus of appeals, and notice of sittings
7. RegistryThe Registry shall be situated at any place in Seychelles as the President may direct.
8. RegistrarAny advocate of the Supreme Court may with the concurrence of the Chief Justice be appointed by name or office by the President to be the Registrar or a Deputy Registrar of the Court.
9. Process of the Court and service
10. Form of proceedings
11. Powers of the President or the Court
12. AdjournmentThe Court shall have power to adjourn any proceedings before it from time to time.
14. Right of audience
15. Notice dispensed withIt shall not be necessary to serve notice of hearing on any person who has signified that he does not intend to appear at the hearing, but the Court may in its discretion permit any such person to appear at the hearing in person or by advocate.
16. Application to the Supreme Court firstWhenever an application may be made to the Court or to the Supreme Court, it should normally be made in the first instance to the Supreme Court.
17. Application for special leave to appeal
18. Notice of appeal
20. Appeal not to operate as a stay of execution
21. Setting down appeal for hearing
22. Withdrawal of appeal
24. Heads of argument
25. Interlocutory matters
26. Extension of timeThe times fixed within these Rules may, on good cause shown, be extended by the President or a Judge designated by the President or may be extended by the Court.
27. Security for costs
28. Poor persons (in forma pauperis)
29. Consolidation of appealsWhere the Court is of the opinion that it would be for its convenience and that of all parties concerned that two or more appeals should be consolidated, it may, of its own motion or on the application of any party, direct the appeals to be consolidated and treated as one appeal.
30. Hearing of appeal
31. Power of the Court on appeal
32. Formal order of the Court
33. Fees of the CourtThe fees set out in the Second Schedule hereto shall be payable in respect of applications and appeals in relation to the Court and in respect of applications and appeals in relation to the Court and in respect of applications and proceedings in the Supreme Court preparatory or incidental to, or consequential upon and appeal to the Court.
34. Taxation of costs
35. Repeal of RulesThe Seychelles Court of Appeal Rules 1978 as amended from time to time are hereby repealed and superceded by these Rules:Provided that any proceedings already commenced under the repealed Rules may continue thereunder, save in so far as the Rules herein contained may be applicable thereto without injustice or increased costs to any of the parties.
History of this document
19 December 2022 amendment not yet applied
27 November 2020
01 June 2020 this version
10 February 2020
06 June 2013
07 March 2005